Sorry I missed last Sabbath I had a headache and totally forgot. The week of the 23rd to the 28th was filled with training, meeting the returning staff and getting ready to meet the students. I am learning the IB(International Baccalaureate) programme the PYP (is for the elementary years). Wow there is so much and I am lost when I think about it. Everyone says it takes a few months to learn. So I am relived I have time to figure it out. At times it does make it hard not knowing totally what I am doing. Last year the Grade 4 team wrote the scope & sequence (the plan) for what we are teaching this year. It is all linked to the standards and is all right there. I love it. I feel like my team members want to help and we will go over stuff but it is a little vague but, I think that is because they want me to still be me and teach my own way. They ask if there are questions and so often I don't know what questions I might have. I also think that they are trying to give us a little as a time so we don't feel overwhelmed which I understand but for this reason I can't wait until the end of the year when I have been through all of it. This means in no way I want to speed through the year. I want to enjoy it, I'll just be glad when I know everything I need to know about the PYP.
My friend Robyn has been a lifesaver and taken me shopping quiet a bit. I have not had to figure out how to take a Taxi yet but I need to figure it out.
I forgot the people I am meeting are simply amazing. Especially all the teachers I am meeting. Which lets face it I live with all teachers and I work with them. Whether they just got here or been here for a year or more. Everyone is so willing to help. They have experienced it all ready and want to help as they can.
I spent Saturday the 29th mostly in my classroom, trying to get set up for school. I have decided that the classroom is never ready like we would like it to be. My room was no where near ready like I wanted but the students never know what we ourselves want done.
Sunday the 30th (1st day of school)
Normally I am excited for the 1st day of school and can't sleep. This year I slept but for the 1st time ever I had nightmares about school. It was really weird because the nightmares where of me teaching high school again. The 1st day was ok, nothing like I have ever experienced before. Monday was a little worst and by Wednesday I was thinking, "Crap I have 2 more years of this." See up to this point I had been telling everyone it was going GREAT. I had been thinking that
1. New country
2. New culture and
3. I just needed time.
But as the days got worst I became less sure that they would get better. So I started answering truthfully it sucked!!!!!!! My team leader Karri came in and talked to me and help me come up with a plan for Thursday. I also talked to a friend who said that the students here are a little behind what I am use to so I may want to use some of my procedures I used in 2nd Grade to help my current students and adjust as is needed for my students. Well duh, I all ready know this why could I not figure it out myself.
Thursday morning came: I got my classroom ready and went outside, I had morning duty. Every Thursday morning we gather outside and we get a quick message from the principle or AP's and then sing the National Anthem, no idea what it said but it was so fun to watch them all sing it.
We got to class & I start every morning off with writing. So they did the writing assignment an then the plan was to give them a group assignment that they would not do so great at cause all week they hadn't not done well with group work. They where amazing. Got in their groups, got to work and where on task 90% of the time (let's face it no one who works in groups is on task 100% of the time it is just our nature) so I was ecstatic. The day was that way the whole day went. We practiced lining up oh how that sucks, every year we practice lining up and I believe that it is as hard on the teachers as it is on the students. So my week finished on a high note. I am so glad.
My students are good kids, I am excited to get to know them and have all ready seen fun sides to their personalities and I am excited to watch them grow and learn this year. We will have not so great days but that is because that is just the way life works. But I am very glad I am here and think it will be an amazing experience!
Here are pictures from my living room window.
Here is a picture I borrowed from a friend. We had a dust storm on Wednesday. It was weird I could feel it in my lungs.
I will have more pictures soon. I have a friend who is going to send me some I can use also of trips we taken. Really need to find my camera.
All is well. Love ya!

No comments:
Post a Comment